.NET 6 is released and it’s a LTS release which means it’ll be fully and actively supported for the next 3 years. If you’ve been paused waiting for the right time to upgrade to .NET 6, it’s a good time to make the move!
The .NET Upgrade Assistant can take Windows Forms, WPF, ASP.NET MVC, Console Apps, and Libraries and help you – interactively – upgrade them to .NET 6.
- Massive and ongoing performance improvements
- No need to count on .NET being on the user’s machine. You can ship you own version of .NET and embed it inside your EXE! Check out Single File Deployment.
- Tons of new C# 10 features, but they are optional, so your existing code works great but you can also “refactor via subtraction” and check out things like implicit usings.
- Optional Profile-guided optimization (PGO) is where the JIT compiler generates optimized code in terms of the types and code paths that are most frequently used. This can mean even MORE free performance!
- Crossgen2 can dramatically improve your startup time
- Support for macOS Arm64 (or “Apple M1 Silicon”) and Windows Arm64 operating systems, for both native Arm64 execution and x64 emulation. In addition, the x64 and Arm64 .NET installers now install side by side. For more info, see .NET Support for macOS 11 and Windows 11 for Arm64 and x64.
- Hot Reload – just make changes and your app changes…even if you’re coding in Notepad!
- And tons more!
Check out my .NET Conf 2022 video where I see how many places I can run .NET! Windows, Linux, Docker, Mac, Raspberry Pi, even a Remarkable 2 eInk tablet. Enjoy!
Be sure to watch and enjoy ALL the great .NET Conf 2022 videos up on YouTube today.
Sponsor: Lob’s developer-friendly APIs make it easy to send a letter, check, or postcard, as easily as email. Design dynamic HTML templates to personalize mail for maximum impact. Start Exploring with Postman!
Scott Hanselman is a former professor, former Chief Architect in finance, now speaker, consultant, father, diabetic, and Microsoft employee. He is a failed stand-up comic, a cornrower, and a book author.